FCC Info



The most common question we are asked is "do I need a license to use these business radios?"

The answer is Yes and No... you do need an FCC license to use most two way radios sold today. Some estimate that as high as 80 to 90% of all businesses DO NOT get an FCC license, although it is required. There are quite a few models of two ways that are available that do not require a license. So, if you want to be on safe side and also save the government fee's, go with one of those radios listed below. 

RMM2050, DLR1020, DLR1060, DTR600, DTR700 and most Family Radios (not for business use). 

Please see our review and descriptions below and feel free to let us know if you have any questions. You can call us at 1-833-682-9297 or by email, or just click the Chat button.

NO FCC LICENSE REQUIRED - these radios are ready to use right out of the box and DO NOT require you to register them with government or pay any additional fees to the FCC. They are simple, hassle free and a popular choice with the medical field, schools, security teams and anyone that want's or needs privacy.

License Free 900Mhz ISM FHSS Radios – Example: Motorola DTR Series or DLR Series Radios

Models like the DLR1020, DLR1060 or the new DTR600, DTR700 are your solutions to FCC license free radios, plus you get digital clarity, longer distance (than analog) and better privacy features.

Frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) A type of multiple access is achieved allowing hundreds of transmitter/receiver pairs to be operated simultaneously on the same band in contrast to previous FM or AM RC systems that had limited simultaneous channels. Motorola has deployed a business-banded, license-free digital radio that uses FHSS technology: the DTR series, models 410, 550, and 650. Some walkie-talkies that employ frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology have been developed for unlicensed use on the 900 MHz band. Courtesy of

MURS VHF Radios – Example: Motorola RMM Series Radios like the RMM2050 are great for outdoor use with no FCC license required.

Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is a licensed by rule two-way radio service like the older Citizens Band (CB). Established by the U.S.Federal Communications Commission in the fall of 2000, MURS created a radio service allowing for licensed by rule (Part 95) operation in a narrow selection of the VHF band, with a power limit of 2 watts. The FCC formally defines MURS as "a private, two-way, short-distance voice or data communications service for personal or business activities of the general public." - Operates in accordance with the rules contained in Sections 95.1301-95.1309. Courtesy of

FCC LICENSE REQUIRED - these radios are pretty much all other radios, UHF and VHF, Analog or Digital. We do not provide this service, but instructions come in each box or we can provide you with recommendations to a coordinator that can help for a fee (around $600 for up to 5 channels including FCC fee's - good for 10 years). Using common or default frequencies sometimes will get you interference from other business nearby who are using the same frequencies. With a license, you will be granted the exclusive use of a frequency for your location. 

Do you report to the FCC that I purchased a two-way radio?

No. We are in no way affiliated with the FCC, or the licensing process. As is stated in our privacy policy, we will never provide your information to any third party (outside of the ordering process) unless we are ever required to do so by law or to follow a court order.

UHF VHF Radios – Example: Kenwood TK series , Motorola RM series , Blackbox Bantam

UHF VHF Digital Radios – Example: Kenwood NX series, Motorola CP series, Blackbox GO

Business Radio Service (BRS) describes a series of frequencies on the VHF and UHF two-way radio bands. They are reserved for use by businesses, and in some cases, by individuals. In the United States, private use of these frequencies requires a federal license issued by the U.S. FCC.

FCC license for Business Radio Service can be completed by filling out form 601. The instructions are located on their website. Before filling out form 601 you must select which frequency your company will operate on. Available frequencies can be found in the owner’s manual of each product. If you need assistance completing a form or filing information, contact the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau at 1-888-CALL-FCC .


Family Radios Services (FRS) and General Mobile Radios Services (GMRS) were combined in May of 2017 as part of the FCC Part 95 reform. Consumer FRS/GMRS two-way radios that listed at 2 watts or less are now considered FRS radios and you are no longer required to apply for a GMRS license from the FCC. The license is now “IMPLIED” and the simple act of purchasing the radios gives you a license to use them on all 22 channels. Note, there are exceptions for radios with more power or one’s that have repeater capabilities. NOTE: These radios CAN NOT legally be used for Business Use, they are strictly for consumer/family use. Courtesy of

*Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia, Motorola, Kenwood and others.